State health officials along with Lincoln County Health Department are urging Wisconsin residents who live in flooded areas to be cautious.
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services is reminding people that the effects of standing water can create health hazards that can last weeks, months, or even years. For those in the areas impacted by the floods, here are some precautions you should take:
- Avoid going into flood waters as they may contain raw sewage, chemicals, and debris.
- Make sure buildings are structurally sound before re-entry.
- Do not enter if you notice the smell of natural gas.
- Have electrical systems inspected, including outlets that may have been under water.
- Do not eat any food that may have come into contact with flood water. That includes canned foods. When in doubt, throw it out.
Flood water damage can lead to mold growth. Mold may be seen or smelled within a few days, but the problems may take longer to show up. The best advice is to talk to a professional cleaning service to determine how serious the mold problem is and the safest way to get rid of it. Within a few days you may see or smell mold, but sometimes problems take longer to show up.
Other clean up tips include:
- Using fans, air conditioning units, and dehumidifiers to help the drying process.
- Hard surfaces that have been in contact with flood waters should be washed with a non-ammonia household cleaner and water then disinfected with a mixture of bleach and water and allowed to air dry. (Use caution when using bleach and never mix bleach with ammonia or acids, as this can create toxic gasses that are dangerous.)
- Wash any clothes contaminated with flood water, including clothes worn for cleanup, in hot water and laundry detergent. Wash contaminated clothes and linen separately from laundry that isn’t contaminated.
After flood waters recede, residents with wells that were submerged are advised to have the well checked. Well water should be sampled for coliform bacteria, whose presence indicates contamination and requires disinfection of the well and water system. Water Testing is available for $20 by calling Lincoln County Health Department at 715-536-0307.