Heat is one of the leading causes of weather-related deaths. Those who are most at risk are older adults and young children, and people living with chronic or mental health conditions.
People who do not have access to air conditioning in their homes are encouraged to seek out air conditioned facilities such as public buildings, malls, libraries, senior centers, cooling centers or stay with family or neighbors who have air conditioning. Click Here for a list of cooling centers in Lincoln County.
Here are some tips to keep safe in hot weather:
- Drink lots of water, avoid alcoholic beverages, coffee, tea and sodas.
- Limit outside activity to early morning or late evening.
- Avoid going outside in extreme heat.
- If you don’t have air conditioning, keep shades drawn and blinds closed, but windows slightly open.
- Rotate ceiling fans counter clockwise.
- Keep electric lights off or turned down.
- Limit the use of your stove.
- Wear loose, light– colored clothing.
- Take cool baths and showers.
- Don’t leave anyone (including pets) in a parked car– even for a few minutes.
If you have any questions or would like more information please contact the Lincoln County Health Department at 715-536-0307.